Monday, May 20, 2013

May Earring Swap Blog Hop Reveal

Today was supposed to be the reveal for a May Earring Swap Blog Hop hosted by Jessica Murray of Whimsical Monkey Artisan Jewelry. However, on Friday a few bad apples harassed her about the few rules that there were (3 people, really?) and she canceled the reveal with a very bad taste in her mouth. Many of us decided to go ahead and post about the earrings we sent and received, and I decided to do so as well.

My partner was Marde Lowe of FanciMar Designs. We exchanged emails and I checked out her web page and Facebook page, but she said she wasn't sure she had a personal style, so I sort of went on my own for designs. On to my favorite place for inspiration, Pinterest!

I found a wire wrapped earring I really liked on a Hungarian website (pinned here) - a lot of the blog posts had photo tutorials on them, but this post just had a link that no longer went anywhere (sigh). But by checking the comments, I found out the design was based on a PIPA Chinese knot. With that, I ran a Google search and found an illustrated knot site for the PIPA Chinese knot that I could follow here. After about 2 practice rounds with 16 gauge Copper, I actually made earrings that were the same size and didn't have a ton of tool marks on them! I topped them with a multicolor lampwork bead and a light blue Swarovski bicone. I put them on long kidney wire hooks to finish them.


Because most blog hoppers send extras, I made a second pair too, with Czech beads. They are in Copper too, but a more simple style (my fingers couldn't handle any more wire work, LOL). I made a swirl on the front of the diamond striped beads but that's as fancy as I got. Still, I think they're pretty nice!


Marde sent me 2 beautiful blue pairs of earrings! I really like the dangle earrings. Better watch out for me when I wear those Evil Eye ones, too.


I am still including the list of original participants. Like I said, many of them planned to still post, but not all. Hopefully you will see a few earrings if you pop around!

Blogs:
Inge von Roos: ingetraud.wordpress.com
Nancy Smith: wirednan.blogspot.ca
Miranda Ackerley: http://blog.mirandack.com/
Shelley Graham Turner: www.shelleygrahamturner.blogspot.com
Ginger Davis Allman: http://thebluebottletree.com/
Mary Anne Flesch: www.handcraftedserenity.blogspot.com  **You are here
Nicole Valentine Rimmer: www.nvalentine.blogspot.com
Stephanie Weiss: uniquelymebwd.blogspot.com/
Spun Sugar Beadworks: Spunsugarbeadworks.blogspot.com
Tania Spivey: http://moobiegrace.blogspot.com/

Facebook Pages:
 
Beccy Peterson: Beccy's Baubles
Ani Forsyth: Veil Dancer
Marde Lowe: FanciMar Designs

33 comments:

  1. Great job on the wire work! Keep it up it actually gets easier:-) thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think you're right. Part of the difficulty is that you work from the largest loop to smallest. I think I will try a pair working from smallest-out to see if that is easier while still giving me the same effect. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. You got some really cute earrings. I love the dangly ones too, but I'm a sucker for dangles. And the earrings you made are wonderful. I love that Chinese knot and will have to check that out. I still didn't have my earrings when I left Thursday, but I'm hoping they're there today when I get home and I can add the pics to my post. I went ahead and put my post up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for dangles too! I am glad you posted too, and I hope your earrings arrive soon. If I get off my lazy behind, I hope to get a tutorial done on the Chinese knot in wire. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Both are so beautiful, the wire knotting is so interesting and kudos for trying something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - seems you and the knot have the same name! I'm glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  4. All of the earrings you two made are beautiful, I really like the design on the copper, it's interesting.
    Your only the second post so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that :( Perhaps later today?

      Delete
  5. I love the knotted copper ones. My favorite combination is copper with blue/green and that "pipa" knot technique is intriguing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to do a tutorial soon...thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Good job on your wirework, it's very lovely. And those Evil Eye ones ... very intriguing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow on the wire work! And I love those evil eyes and clusters. The colors both of you used are some of my favorites. Beautiful. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said it at least 2 other times, but I want to write up a tute because once you get the hang, it's not nearly as hard as it turns out looking (a nice thing, I think). Thanks again for taking tons of grief and organizing this hop!

      Delete
  8. I am a big fan of copper too and the earrings you made are beautiful. I really love the eye earrings.. lol those are a fun pair.. Looks like you guys had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like all 4 pair love the second pair in each!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never done wire wrapping but you make it look so wonderful that I might have to give it a try. Beautiful earrings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much easier than wrapping around a cabochon, for sure! I hope to get a tutorial done before I'm old and gray, haha. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Wow! I love the PIPA Chinese wrapping. All of the earrings are beautiful! I would have a hard time deciding which to wear first! I'm still in the swap/hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't catch your blog this morning, I plan on going around again later and I'll see it the second time around. Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate your comments about the earrings!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful earrings, the talent represented in this swap is truly fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great earrings made by both of you! I love trying new techniques for swaps, too, and yours worked so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying new things is great as long as they look good enough to give away, LOL!! In this case, they were (whew). Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. i love the colors you chose to work with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love how the aqua looked with the copper, especially.

      Delete
  15. Love the wirework - simply incredible! It looks so delicate and fancy! Great earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They turned out better than I expected.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful earrings, Mary Anne. I can't wait to see your tutorial on the pipa knot. It's a technique I've been playing with, too, so I'm very interested in comparing notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to recruit my teenaged son to take photos, because it's definitely a 2-handed wiring technique! It's easier than it looks once I figured it out.

      Delete
  17. Hi, MaryAnne! Cool earrings! By the way, I just drew a name for my patina challenge and you are the winner! Will you please drop by my blog and leave me your mailing address? I won't post it to the public. Many thanks! -Sharyl sharylsjewelry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete