Thursday, September 13, 2012

Have we met?

I live in a College town of approximately 100,000 halfway between Kansas City and St. Louis - and while it's a great little town, the crafting solutions are limited to Michael's and Hobby Lobby. So I have made tons of jewelry friends via Facebook.

Two of those are Ralph and Maryann Seiler. Maryann-without-an-"e" (as I call her) was one of the first jewelry related people I connected with on FB. Maryann and Ralph live in Arizona and make a living creating "cabs" - cabochons, which are stones without holes. They purchase raw slabs and cut then polish them into absolutely beautiful stones! They are very reasonably priced for the quality stone that you receive, and I love everything I have gotten from them.

Tuesday I read on FB that Ralph and Maryann were travelling in their RV and stopped in Topeka, KS meeting with Dawn Blair, another FB rock friend. Jokingly, I asked if they were coming any further West. Maryann responded that they were going to be in Kansas City the next day and then could come on to Columbia.....really? I was so excited - how often do you get the chance to meet your virtual friends? So we made plans to meet in the afternoon and she would contact me when they got closer.

So around 3:30 I headed out to the Midway Truck Stop (which has its own TV show, by the way) and found the RV with Arizona tags "Rock2cab." For the next hour, we chatted like old friends! Ralph and Maryann entertained me with stories of their trip and stops along the way, and enthralled me with all of the cab beauties laying around within a fingertips' reach....it was hard not to just reach out and touch all the pretties.....

As we were wrapping up our visit, I asked to see one of the rocks that Maryann had just posted on FB this week - a beautiful Gary Green or Larsonite cab that looked like the surf. While Ralph got it out, Maryanne mentioned that I get $20 off just for coming to visit. Woo hoo!! I was more than willing to visit them for free! Plus, I got to pick a discount chip - 25% off! I didn't find out until later that there was a 50% off chip in the basket, I would have dug harder.


I picked 4 rocks and I can't wait to start working with them! The Gary Green cab is the one at the bottom.



Before we left, Ralph took a photo of Mary Anne and Maryann. Don't judge our hair, it was a very windy day!!



I had a great time meeting Ralph and Maryann. Ralph reminded me of my dad. I told him not to worry, that was a good thing!


You can see their work at www.cabochon.ws

6 comments:

  1. Don't you just love getting to meet people for real? So glad ya'll had a good time. Their cabs look gorgeous, I'll have to check out their site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful getting to meet folks you feel like you know in person!

      Delete
  2. Dawn Blair is a friend of mine! Small world...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the most awesome time with Ralph and Maryann, too. They are true friends. Ralph is my gemstone hero. I am hoping they will do this next year so Ralph and I can have dualing "Pixies" (our cabbing machines)! My love of gemstones I completely owe to them. I also think the look of my work is very heavily influenced by their stones. I am thrilled you got to spend some time with them. And, I'm glad you picked up the Gary Green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon! The Gary Green is even better in person...I am thinking it's definitely for me, LOL!

      Delete
  4. The Cabs are gorgeous!! I just started bead embroidering around cabs and find I have to get them online. Like you, only have HL and Michaels and I don't think much of their selection. :o( Going to go check their website out now!!

    ReplyDelete